A 25-year-old French backpacker has tragically lost his life after being bitten by a highly venomous brown snake while working on a farm in rural Australia. The incident occurred on October 24, as the young man was undertaking a seasonal job as a casual grain harvester in Mallee, located 470km northwest of Melbourne. Emergency services were summoned to the scene in Nullawil after the backpacker's friend found him unresponsive. He was then transferred to the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne in a critical condition. Despite doctors' efforts, the victim suffered a heart attack and life support was subsequently switched off. Wade Humphries, the owner of the Access Grain site where the backpacker was working, expressed his deep sorrow over the tragic incident. It remains unclear whether the snake bite occurred during working hours or in the backpacker's leisure time, according to Mr. Humphries.
A spokesperson for the Victorian Police confirmed that a report will be prepared for the coroner regarding the case of the French backpacker, who was working in Australia on a valid visa. Authorities will investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident to establish the exact chain of events leading to the snake bite.
Following the backpacker's death, Worksafe Australia has been alerted and will determine if further actions are required. Worksafe plays a critical role in ensuring workplace safety, and their involvement is necessary to ascertain if any measures need to be taken to prevent future incidents.
In response to the incident, the French embassy has stated that it is aware of the situation but refrained from providing any further comments.
Brown snakes, one of the deadliest snake species in Australia and the second deadliest in the world, pose a significant threat. Even though only two snakebite-related deaths are recorded each year, these snakes are responsible for more fatalities than any other snake species in the country.